Tuesday, May 29, 2012

As American As...

Today was Memorial Day. A day for remembering those that have died fighting to defend our freedom. Thank you to all that have served.

On a day to be particularly proud to be an American, what better dessert than apple pie? This was my first attempt at making a pie. I vividly remember making apple pie with my Mom as a kid. I remember sitting on the counter eating apple peels and sugar and cinnamon coated apple slices. I knew what my goal was taste wise, and I knew a few tricks (Thanks Momma!), so to the store I went!

3 Granny Smith
3 Golden Delicious
3 Braeburn

1 Cup of sugar (roughly)
1 Tbsp of ground cinnamon (roughly)
1 tsp of ground nutmeg (roughly)
1/2 tsp of ground clove (roughly)
2 Tbsp of lemon juice
1 Tbsp of flour
Coarse granulated sugar

Pre-made pie crust (unless you're feeling froggy and want to make your own!)


Set out the pre-made pie crusts to start warming to room temperature. Meanwhile, peel, core and slice your apples. In a small bowl, combine everything but the coarse sugar and lemon juice. Toss the mixture with the apples until well combined, then add the lemon juice.

Roll out the pie crusts. I like a lattice top on my pie. I couldn't find a pastry wheel anywhere, but my pizza wheel worked just fine! I made my strips about 1/2 and inch wide. Put the bottom crust in, add the apples, brush the exposed edges of crust with egg, then create your lattice on top! Once it's done, cut off all the extra dough, and crimp or fork the crust edge. Brush the entire top with egg, sprinkle with some granulated sugar, and bake! Don't forget a foil ring to protect the edges until shortly before it's done.

Let it rest to set and cool down for about 30 minutes after it's done. Top with ice cream or whipped cream, or both, and enjoy!! While I didn't put as many apples in as I could have, which DH made sure to poke fun at, it was still quite yummy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Shipt!