Monday, May 14, 2012

Pot Roast With a Lava Cake Chaser!

I'm a Mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a Paramedic. I'm also a wanna-be chef. I LOVE trying and creating new recipes. "What's for dinner" is usually inspired by browsing through the pantry to see what's on hand, or a stroll through the grocery store. Sometimes something as simple as a yellow squash can inspire something fabulous! Not every dish turns out wonderful, and I have a tendency to under salt, but I learn lessons from my mistakes and try again!

Tonight was pot roast with molten lava cake for dessert, and let me tell you, I am sufficiently safasified!!! I seared the roast, put it in the crock pot, and de-glazed the pan with a nice red wine. I added the veggies (green onion, carrots, red potatoes, celery, and zucchini) to the crock pot, poured in the wine and yummy pan bits, added some beef stock, and let the magic begin. I let it simmer for nearly 6 hours, and it smelled A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! My picky 5 year old even seemed interested! The meat was absolutely falling apart when I plated! I poured the broth into a small pot to reduce. I added broth a flour I had whisked separately to thicken, and voila! Gravy was born.

Time for something sweet!! I found a molten cake recipe online (my favorite source for new ideas!). It said it would make 6 small cakes, however being that it was only for me and my husband, I cut it all in thirds. Thankfully it called for 3 eggs! A little double boiler action for the chocolate, four, sugar, an egg and a yolk, vanilla, aaaaand orange liqueur, in the over at 425 for ten minutes! I whipped up some whipped cream while I impatiently waited. One small burn from brushing against an oven rack later, and they were ready! Plate, dollop some whip cream, and to be fancy a sprig of mint! I died and went to heaven! The orange liqueur added an amazing brightness to it, and balanced beautifully with the depth chocolate!!

Tomorrow I'll be making my pumpkin pancakes to take to work for breakfast! I've been out for weeks, and I miss my pancakes!! I'm salivating just thinking about them! Although it could be a fond memory of the molten cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Shipt!