Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An Ode To Creme Brulee

Creme brulee, how do I love thee....

I love, love, love, love, LOVE creme brulee!!! Yes, it's about 9,000 calories per serving, but it's a rare treat, so I'll allow it! I of course googled around for ideas, and settled on this:

3 Cups Heavy cream
1 Egg
3 Egg Yolks
2 Vanilla beans
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tbs Orange Liqueur

The recipe I found made several servings, but I only wanted one. I reduced everything by a quarter, which made the one egg interesting. Heat the milk until hot, but not boiling. Meanwhile, I combined the eggs and sugar (1 egg yolk and roughly a quarter of the white, and 1/8 Cup of sugar). I tempered the eggs with the cream, then added the rest, before adding the contents of half of one vanilla bean and the orange liqueur. I then poured the mix into a ramekin, put that into a pie pan, put it all in the oven, then filled the pie pan half way with hot water. Bake for about 45 min at 300f, or until the center still jiggles some. Remove, cool, and chill until set.... Or remove an put in the freezer. I'm not a patient woman for desserts!

While it cools, whip up some whipped cream from the leftover heavy cream for added yummy!

When it's cold, sprinkle sugar all over the top. About 1 tsp worth. Time for the fun part: Get your handy kitchen blowtorch (use your head! Follow the product instructions! I'm not responsible for any fires!) and brown the sugar. Chill again until it's re-set. The sugar on top will be hard. Top with whipped cream, and a fancy cut strawberry or your favorite fruit, an dig in!! This was my third time making this, and let me tell you, third time was sooo the charm!!!! Try it out! You're welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Shipt!