Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Butter me some ribeye!


Who doesn't love steak? Send them to my house. I'll fix that.

The ribeye. It very well may be, in my opinion, the most perfect steak around. Sure there's the strip steak, the filet, and so on, but the fat to meat ratio of the ribeye is, again in my opinion, perfection! There's nothing better than that rich, buttery smoothness of a grilled ribeye! Ok, where's my napkin?....

While out for the weekly grocery trip, lucky me, ribeyes were on sale!! Oh and a three pack of thick cut too? Quit it! My arm! Stop twisting it! We usually do the typical sauteed mushrooms and vidalia onions, but I wanted to add a little something more. What about butter? Flavored butter, to be specific? How about Gorgonzola butter with roasted garlic and parsley? Ohh yes my friend! We have a winner!

3 ribeye steaks
Fresh cracked pepper and garlic salt to taste
1 bulb garlic
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Gorgonzola crumbles, room temperature
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 vidalia onion
10 sliced baby portobello mushrooms



Start with the garlic bulb. Slice off about the top quarter, drizzle with 1Tbsp of olive oil, and wrap in a foil purse. Bake at 375f for about an hour, or until the package can be easily squeezed with tongs. Remove and allow to cool. Once cool, place the butter, Gorgonzola, and parsley into a bowl. Squeeze the garlic bulb from the bottom like a ketchup packet into the bowl, and using a fork or I suppose a potato masher, combine well. Scoop out the butter mixture and place onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape as best you can into a stick with your hands. Meet the long sides together and wrap around the butter, then fold the ends over and fold under the stick. You can reform again if needed now, then place into the fridge to cool and harden.



Meanwhile, season the steaks with the pepper and garlic salt. Yes, that's it. I don't like to add a lot of fuss to steak. I eat steak to TASTE steak! Not to get a mouthful of pepper and other nonsense. Let the meat rest for a few moments while you slice your onion and mushrooms however you prefer. I like 1/4 in thick half moons for the onion, and the same thickness for the mushrooms. Heat 2Tbsp of olive oil over medium-low heat in a large pan. Layer the onions in first and top with the mushrooms. Stir occasionally until the onions are caramelized and the mushrooms have begun to brown a bit, then remove and set aside.
Time to grill! Quite simply, place the steaks on a medium heat grill, and close the lid. No peaking and no touching, I mean unless you for some reason begin to have a raging fire in there.... Flip them after about 5 minutes, and continue cooking until they've reached your desired temperature. Remove and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Plate a steak and top with a thick slice of the butter and some the mushrooms and onions. I also served this with baked sweet potatoes. Hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Shipt!