Monday, June 4, 2012

Whole wheat pumpkin pancakes

Pancakes. Who doesn't like pancakes? Being that I try to eat relatively health though, I set out in search of a healthy version. I found this:

2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger (I use 1tsp of ground cinnamon instead)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg yolk
3 egg whites
2 cups skim milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp apple butter

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, nutmeg and cinnamon (or ginger). In another bowl, combine the egg yolk, pumpkin, brown sugar, apple butter and milk. Gradually add the pumpkin mixture and stir until its combined. Don't over-mix! Whip the egg whites in a separate bowl until fluffy, then gently fold that into the pumpkin batter.

I found that the batter doesn't spread well in the pan. I found a pancake batter dispenser at the store which made cake work of the spreading issue!

They don't come out super thick and fluffy like typical pancakes, but close enough! They take roughly 5 minutes per side on medium heat. Top with a little more apple butter and enjoy!! They freeze really well too. I make two batches worth and take them to work most mornings. Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Shipt!